Regent Voyager of the Seas

San Francisco, Hawaii, French Polynesia, New Zealand, Australia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Phillipines, Taiwan, South Korea, China





Saturday, March 5, 2011

Is Bridge a Contact Sport?

Is bridge a contact sport?  I was ready to test that hypothesis out today.  Only my good breeding kept me from choking my partner.  My duties as assistant bridge instructor is not to instruct, but to play when someone needs a partner or to fill out a table.  I never pretend to be something that I am not – that is, I am not a great bridge player who plays all the wacky conventions.  I just play everyday bridge.  I know why this lady didn’t have a partner.  She complained bitterly when I missed a cue bid (whatever that is) and then personally attacked me for not being as proficient as “my title” indicated.  All she did was moan and groan every time I bid or passed.  I couldn’t win.  I was tempted to get up and tell her to shut up and then leave the room.  But I kept my mouth shut and just suffered (and threw eye rolls to Michael) and vowed never to get near her.  I did not sign up for abuse. 

There are a few who think they are hot shit and take ship bridge just too seriously.  We are there for some fun and a pleasant way to pass the day at bridge.  There was so much drama today.  Two partnerships broke up and I swear we were at a kindergarten playground – she/he did this/said that…. Blah blah blah.  Grow up people!!!  Michael had more “Director Calls” today than all last week combined.

Enough ranting about bridge.  Most of the people who come for the lessons and games have been a very loyal group.  We have made some good friends out of this group and have enjoyed their company.  There are a lot of world cruisers on this ship (cruising for five months straight from San Francisco to Southampton, England).  They are without a doubt, a friendly and unpretentious group.  Then there are the segmentarians, the ones that are on for part of the trip (like us); I find a lot of them to be snooty and not very friendly.  It makes for an interesting contrast in the haves versus the have nots.  The world cruisers have treated us like equals while a disproportionate group of segmentarians look down their noses at us with the name badges.  Of course, I am making generalizations but this has been my experience.

Tonight we had cocktails in the Grand Master Suite, the biggest suite on the ship.  Oh how roomy and you should see the size of the bathroom.  They also had an adjoining room (the same size as ours) for wine storage.  Yep, wine storage.  Gene and Tove are such warm and down to earth people.  Gene is a gentleman of the first order; they don’t make them like that anymore.  He wants to play bridge with me.  Is he crazy?

Jim and Pepper rounded out the table for six and we had a delightful dinner sharing stories and jokes.  Tove is a cat lady; she has 30 cats she takes care of (nine are inside cats).  They all have their own cathouse.  There are also dogs.  Between the vet bills, food and litter, she spends a small fortune on these rescue animals.

We are cruising to Bali and the water has been smooth and flat.  I am keeping my fingers crossed that this trend continues.  At 10pm tonight, it was very hot and muggy on deck. 

No comments:

Post a Comment