Regent Voyager of the Seas

San Francisco, Hawaii, French Polynesia, New Zealand, Australia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Phillipines, Taiwan, South Korea, China





Saturday, January 22, 2011

Lahaina, Maui

Rising gently from the sea, covered in a velvety green blanket, the towering mountains of Lahaina greeted us this beautiful morning.  The Voyager dropped anchor, and we were surrounded by humpback whales cavorting and playing with the whale watching boats.  Seriously, we were having breakfast on the fantail watching as the whales breeched every minute or so!

Lahaina has a notorious past.  Lusty whalers pitted against the Christian missionaries who were determined to save souls.  The town retains much of the flavor of the whaling days, and buildings have been renovated, many which date from the time when it was Hawaii’s capital.  Much of the town has been designated a National Historic Landmark, and new buildings must conform in style to those built before 1920.

We didn’t have any tours scheduled today so this was a good morning to get the laundry done.  Our next six days are sea days and there is no way you are going to get me into the laundry room during this time.  After lunch, we tendered into town and walked from one end to the other.  There are restaurants and souvenir, jewelry and clothing shops along the main drag.  We have been here several times and have seen most of the highlights, most recently as two years ago, so we didn’t feel deprived that we didn’t have a tour.

There was an open air art show in the main plaza, which is famous for its Banyan tree.  We tried to take a picture of this massive tree, but there is no way to do so.  The tree was planted in 1873 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the first Protestant mission in Lahaina, and is the largest Banyan in the United States and the second largest in the world (India has the largest).  Aerial roots drop vertically from the branches and eventually plant into the ground and form massive additional trunks that supports the tree’s large canopy.  This enormous tree has 16 trunks in addition to the original trunk in the center, and covers an area over one acre!  One Tree!!  I am sorry to go on and on about Banyan trees, but they are just amazing and so unique.

Our captain has a funny little habit:  he leaves before the appointed time.  That is, the ship is due to sail at 5 pm, he leaves at 4:45 pm.  This has happened every single time we have been in port.  Today, the tender had to chase the ship because it had left before the tender could be pulled on board.  This is one ship you better not be late getting back from touring.

I am going into BlackBerry cell phone withdrawal.  Since Verizon eliminated the unlimited data package, it is not cost effective to use our phones for email and web.  I will use the ship’s internet (which is slower than a slug).  I made my last minute phone calls today.  I talk to Deborah almost every day and try to talk to Isabelle (who hardly ever will talk to me on the phone); this is going to be a nail biting time as I am addicted to my phone.  I will miss Facebook, too, as that is how I find out what’s going on with everyone.  I need to stay connected, therefore, I implore all of you to please email with news, gossip, etc. -- any news.  What say you folks in Palm Springs?

We are heading south to Tahiti.  This is where the trip starts getting interesting for me as we have never been to French Polynesia.  We still haven’t hit the beach yet, but I hope that changes when we arrive in Moorea. The captain promised good water the entire 2,700 miles until we arrive.  Keep your fingers crossed he is right!!


This is my best picture of the entire trip.  The parrot was sitting on a perch with his owner nearby, and using a long lens, I snapped the pictures.  It wasn't until after I took the pictures that I saw a sign hanging right next to the birds, "DO NOT TAKE ANY PICTURES."  Oh well......






No comments:

Post a Comment