Regent Voyager of the Seas

San Francisco, Hawaii, French Polynesia, New Zealand, Australia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Phillipines, Taiwan, South Korea, China





Monday, January 24, 2011

Somewhere in the North Pacific

As I gaze into the night, all I see around me is inky darkness, broken by the moon playing peek-a-boo behind some round billowy clouds that are silhouetted by its light.  We are nearing the equator and the water, humidity and air temperature are increasing.  Standing on the veranda, I am careful not to look down into the water.  I don’t like to think about what is under the ship.  Isn’t that strange for someone who has spent the better part of her adult life boating in the ocean?

For six days we will be a little vessel, floating in a huge sea.  There is nothing to see except water and clouds.  Some days we see the sun peaking out for brief periods, but mostly the sky is overcast.  The captain changed course today to avoid rain showers so we could have a special lunch outside on the pool desk.  We have sailed over 4,000 miles so far and have been blessed with mild seas.  I have finally gotten my sea legs and no longer look like a drunken sailor.  My bed still vibrates like “magic fingers” and the cabin moans and groans.  These are now becoming soothing sounds.

The movement of the ship causes continual movement of my body, which is causing my muscles to work hard to keep my body balanced and upright.  I am sitting for longer and longer periods of time in chairs that are not ergonomically correct.  I am now starting to hurt and often feel fatigued.  I have to remind myself that I am still recovering from the surgery and must pace myself better (I am taking the day off today to rest).  Who would have thought that a nice relaxing ocean cruise could be so physically demanding?

We continue to have well attended bridge lessons and games.  Six down and 33 more sessions to go.  I have been to all the lessons as a fill-in, but something is happening to me:  I am actually learning!  I have been playing in the games and my partner and I have placed in the middle of the pack, or like yesterday, placed so low that we should not even have been named.  Some days you can do nothing wrong; other days, it doesn’t even pay to show up. 

3 comments:

  1. I hear you on both counts. Bad day at Bridge, but I have finally gotten my Sec. Master. Threw the knee out in golf & looks like I may finally be able to really get it fixed. Finger crossed. Chris, Cal JT coming in on Friday, 2 nieces & 2 great nephews, sisterinlaw & hubby coming in on Sunday. All here til Tues, enjoy your rest! Miss Ya Carol W

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beverly & Michael,
    There is no way I could put myself on a ship that ends up way out in the middle of the ocean. That is way too much water for me! I guess I am a "terrafirma" person. Enjoyed your blogs about Hawaii. I've been to Maui and would like to return, but next time want to spend some time around Honolulu and Pearl Harbor as well.
    Marv and I keep busy with our activities. He is repairing and painting a couple of vehicles. I've been closing out church books for the year 2010 and working on 2011 budget. Marv has been doctoring for a cyst on his back that went "viral". It is infected and today he had to have it lanced and drained. It's right in the small of his back and it hurts to lean back in any kind of chair. He's on antibiotics as well. Should get better now.
    Went to a crab feed while back at the local Catholic church. Was good food and good company - there were 22 of us from our church (we call ourselves the Lutheran contingency). Take care and keep up the great blow by blow descriptions. Delores & Marv

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've played a rubber or two of bridge in the passing years. I supposed you're playing duplicate, aren't you? My parents played contract bridge quite a bit, and I can remember my father saying, on more than one occasion, "this hand looks more like a foot". Suzanne

    ReplyDelete