Regent Voyager of the Seas

San Francisco, Hawaii, French Polynesia, New Zealand, Australia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Phillipines, Taiwan, South Korea, China





Thursday, January 13, 2011

Walker’s Always Start Things off the Hard Way

Yep, our pre-cruise getting ready week started off with a bang -- my flu, a caput heat-pump, and a hacked email account. 

We had dinner on Saturday night with Leny and Moshe, our friends from the Adventures on the Other Side of the World cruise.  After a pleasant evening, we returned home and I got everything set up to do the laundry first thing Sunday morning.  Knowing me, you know there is a story attached to this:  around 10:30pm it started – violent vomiting along with, well you know the rest.  I didn’t know which end to face the toilet.  At one point I was on the pot with a bucket under my chin.  I tried really hard not to hurt my back as the spasms racked my body.  Then the sweats and chills started.  By 6:30am there was nothing left.  I braved some ice chips and thought OK, it’s over.  It was only food poisoning.  By 2pm I was shivering, and had a temperature and headache.  Oh no, it can’t be – I had my flu shot.  I, thankfully, only had the 24-hour variety. 

On Monday, we got a call from Anne, our housekeeper in Port Ludlow, that the red light on the thermostat was blinking.  That meant the heat pump was not working and that the auxiliary furnace was.  We thought the problem had been fixed (we did this just before leaving for the desert).  Can you see the $$$$$$$ just floating away from our hands to PSE.  After much consulting, phone calls, and an assessment of the situation, the heating contractor pronounced the unit dead.  What do we want to do?  Michael did an analysis of the $$$$$$ and decided we needed to replace the heat pump now.  More phone calls, signed contracts and a deposit sent, we left the repair process in our son-in-law Alan’s capable hands.  Can you picture Mr. Anal Retentive at this point?  A hair pulling experience for him.

To add insult to injury for Mr. A R, someone hacked into his email account and started sending spam to everyone in his address book.  It took a few days to track down a solution.  He spent the better part of Wednesday (the day before we left!) changing passwords, etc.  A side benefit to all this was that he heard from people he hasn’t talked to in ages!

No comments:

Post a Comment