Regent Voyager of the Seas

San Francisco, Hawaii, French Polynesia, New Zealand, Australia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Phillipines, Taiwan, South Korea, China





Saturday, February 19, 2011

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride

We survived Mr. Toad’s wild ride – AKA the Bass Strait*.

Oohhh what a nasty day we had today.  We had 50 knot winds and 15 foot seas.  The ship lurched, bumped, shuttered and made all kinds of unwelcomed noises.  Yours truly was at the bridge table all day (for lessons and game), and when east/west had to move, it was like playing bumper chairs while trying to stay on your feet.  There was one time when I almost landed in a gentleman’s lap!  It was better to play bridge and try to concentrate on something other than the sea conditions than to lay in bed waiting for it to be over.  I admit I did get queasy. The bridge room is on deck 4 so there was less movement there than in our stateroom.

Again, our Captain made a wonderful decision on the best possible route today from Hobart by sailing on the west side of Tasmania instead of the east due to heavy NE winds.  Instead of getting beat up all day, we were only in the slop for about eight hours.  As a bonus, he made Melbourne Harbor (Port Phillip) by 8 pm so we could tie up at a dock and have a nice calm night instead of arriving tomorrow morning.  I like Captain Scala.

For dinner tonight, I had pretzels and Gerald’s peanut butter.  Still waiting for my stomach to calm down.  What a whimp I have become.


*Bass Strait is the body of water between northern Tasmania and southern Australia

2 comments:

  1. You have a wonderful captain who really cares about his people!! I think you should switch with Michael when you have a tour!! he seems to be getting the better ones!
    I may not comment on every blog since you are away for such a long time. I am running out of new things to say! However, I REALLY enjoy receiving them!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. we will see u on the 7th / PLEASE have calm sea's for the 13 days we join u.. ginger

    ReplyDelete